Author: Alisa Yin / Category: Review / Published: July-09-2020
I am pretty excited to be reviewing the Voopoo Argus GT 160W kit. It is the latest mod kit from the popular manufacturer Voopoo. It features a rugged and ergonomic design, however, it’s not waterproof as we have seen from the Aegis line. The Argus GT is paired with the new PnP pod tank which utilizes the PnP coils as the Vinci line and compatible with all Voopoo devices. Voopoo claimed that the PnP pod tank can flexibly switch between pod and tank. Equipped with the GENE-TT chipset and dual 18650 batteries, the Argus GT is rated for 160 watts, and provides the Smart and TC Modes. In many ways, it seems to be an updated version of the DRAG X. So I am very pleased to get my hands on the new Voopoo Argus GT 160W Kit!
Voopoo founded in 2010 has a huge reputation for knocking out the flavor with a range of pod devices. Voopoo partnered with Gene to develop their exclusive chips. They have launched the very popular Drag line and Vinci line. According to Voopoo, the new Argus GT was designed to be a lightweight and versatile mod kit made for outdoor enthusiasts. My expectation was really high since I love outdoor activities! Is the Argus GT fit to wear the Voopoo badge? Keep reading to find out what impressed me about the Voopoo Argus GT kit.
Price: £ 39.99 (BUY NOW at NewVaping) Use Code: ARGUSGT
Colors: Carbon Fiber, Vintage Grey, Dark Blue, Black & Red, Black & Blue
Voopoo Argus GT 160W Specifications
- Size: 51.3* 132.1* 26.1mm
- Mod Material: Leather & Zinc Alloy
- Battery: Dual 18650 battery(not included)
- Output: 5-160W
- Modes: Smart/ TC(Ti, Ni, SS) modes
- Output Voltage: 6.4-8.4V
- Resistance range: 0.1-3.0Ω
- Pod Tank Capacity: 4.5ml
- Pod Tank Material: Stainless Steel & PCTG
- Resistance: 0.2Ω PnP-VM5 mesh coil(40-60W)
- 0.15Ω PnP-VM6 mesh coil(60-80W)
Voopoo Argus GT 160W Package Contents
1 x Argus GT Device
1 x PnP Pod Tank (4.5ml)
1 x PnP-VM5, 0.2ohm
1 x PnP-VM6, 0.15ohm
1 x Type-C Cable
1 x User Manual
Build Quality and Design of Voopoo Argus GT 160W
The kit comes in 5 different styles and I received the red one. By first thoughts on seeing the packaging were “damn, that looks pretty cool!”, then “Unexpectedly, the whole box feels lightweight in my hands!”. I was pretty sure that the Argus GT is designed for outdoor usage as Voopoo boasts.
The mod is stunning. The chassis is made of beautiful matte-finished zinc alloy. The leather section makes the Argus GT rather like it belongs to the Aegis series. The red fading to black paint looks great and the leather textures and details are well-built. I am not sure if Voopoo uses real leather on it, but it sure comfortable to grip. At 51.3mm x 26.1mm x 132.1mm, it’s not a small box mod by any means, but it isn’t overly large either. The rectangular shape with rounded edges provides a better hand feel. As for weight, the Argus GT is significantly lighter than the regular dual-battery mods. I love the large red Argus branding upfront, it blends better than it does.
The 510 connector is great and gave me no issues with any atomizer. The 510 is not centered, which is a con for me. The base, which features the hinged battery door, has a latch on it. Sadly, I didn't find any battery venting holes. The screen is large, colorful, and bright and the values are visible even under direct sunlight. The fie button is clicky and the two adjustment buttons are large for easy operation. The USB Type-C port is sealed nicely by a rubber plug. There is no wiggle, move, or rattle during the testing period. The overall build quality of Voopoo Argus GT is great. It feels solid and looks premium.
Voopoo PnP Pod Tank
Voopoo made big waves with the release of the PnP Pod Tank. In the history of vaping, a tank came first, then a couple of years ago pods (aka. cartridge) came out, which took the vape industry by storm. Then this year, came the Pod Tank. As the name suggests, the pod tank combines the usability of a pod and the versatility of a tank.
The Voopoo PnP Pod Tank is made of a food-grade PCTG material, which differs from your regular tank. The plastic tube is lightly tinted. You can easily view the juice levels. It comes with a threaded 510 base, which is fixed by strong magnets. So the PnP Pod Tank can be used on most of the mods. The round drip tip is integrated, which is comfortable between lips. At the base of the pod tank, you will find two large airflow holes, which are fully adjustable. The filling port is at the base of the plastic pod. It is large that can accommodate most of the bottle nozzle sizes. You have to pull out the pod from the 510 base to fill the e-juice. It can be used on your DRAG X or DRAG S mod without the 510 base. The PnP Pod Tank features an easy push-fit method and is compatible with all Voopoo PnP coil heads including the RBA deck.
How to Fill the Voopoo PnP Pod Tank:
- Pull the plastic pod section out of the 510 base
- Remove the rubber plug at the base of the pod
- Add your desired e-liquid
- Wait at least 5min to get the coil fully saturated
How to Change the PnP Coils:
- Pull the pod off from the 510 base
- Pull the expiry coil out from the bottom of the pod
- Insert a new PnP coil into the bottom of the pod and press firmly
- Fill the pod with e-liquid and place it onto the 510 base
Tips: when held upside down, any liquid will leak out when you remove the coil. So I recommend you to empty the pod before changing a coil.
Getting Started: Vaping the Voopoo Argus GT 160W
The Voopoo Argus GT takes dual 18650 batteries and fires from 5W to 160W. You should purchase the 18650 cells separately. Click here for the ultimate 18650 battery guide in 2020. The advanced GENE.TT chipset upgraded from the GENE.AI chip provides an ultra-fast firing speed and offers the smart mode and TC mode. Other than that, you get a large colorful screen that displays all the information you need including the battery life, wattage, voltage, resistance, puff timer, and puff counter. The theme color indicates the different modes: yellow for smart mode, blue for RBA mode, and green for TC mode. The operation is pretty simple with a straightforward UI interface. We will list most of those features below.
Quick Start Guide of Voopoo Argus G:
- The Kit comes without a coil installed or battery loaded. You need to load two 18650 batteries, install a coil and fill the pod tank before getting started
- Five clicks of the fire button to turn on or turn off the device
- Three clicks of the fire button to switch between Smart, RBA and TC mode
- Use the plus and minus buttons to adjust the wattage
- In TC mode, use the plus and minus buttons to select heating wire, long-press the fire button to confirm
- Press the fire button and minus button to clear data
- Press the fire button and plus button to lock or unlock the device
Voopoo Argus GT Vape Modes and Features:
The Voopoo Argus GT comes with a USB C port for 2A fast charging and firmware upgrades. The GENE.TT chipset provides multiple safety features to ensure your safe vaping. As a full-blown mod kit, the Argus GT offers three modes to use with PnP coils:
- Smart mode: Identifies the best power output for the coil you use and prevents the wattage from going too high for the coil
- RBA mode: It is designed RBA coil head. It allows any power setting and deactivates maximum power protection
- TC mode: It supports the Ni, Ti, and SS coil material. The TC adjustable range is from 200 - 600 ℉/ 100 - 315 ℃
How Does the Voopoo Argus GT Perform?
The Voopoo Argus GT kit comes with two PnP coils - a 0.15ohm PnP-VM6 Mesh coil and a 0.15ohm PnP-VM5 Mesh coil. You can opt to purchase other PnP coils for different experiences including the mesh coil, regular coil, and RBA coil head.
0.15ohm PnP-VM6 Mesh Coil (Recommend at 60 - 80W)
I start from 60W, the bottom of the recommended wattage, the flavor is excellent and the cloud is impressive. At 80W, the vapor production is noticeably improved that’s nice and thick. The flavor is a bit weakened but still prominent. The best wattage for me is around 65W. To prolong the lifespan of the coil you should always use the coil within the recommended wattage range.
0.2ohm PnP-VM5 Mesh Coil (Recommend at 40 - 50W)
As for the 0.2-ohm coil, it provides a pure crispy flavor and a nice, decently sized cloud. It is not as cloudy as the 0.15ohm mesh coil, but it’s not far from it. It is cooler. Closing the airflow halfway helps to warm it up and improve flavor.
Voopoo Argus GT 160W Review
This is my new favorite mod kit. I really like its rugged design and the innovative PnP pod tank. If you are still not sure if it is a device fit for your needs, I will sum it up for you. The Voopoo Argus GT is a dual-18650 kit. It is made from solid zinc alloy with soft-touch leather backing for easy grip. It fires up to 160W and features three modes (Smart, RBA, TC). The large and colorful screen is easy to use. The PnP pod tank can switch between a pod and a 510 tank. Most importantly, the Argus GT can use all of the PnP coils. I don’t want my reviews to sound like sales pitches, but the Argus GT just simply deserves it. At least it brings anything new to the vaping industry.
Pros and Cons of the Voopoo Argus GT:
- Good build quality
- Nice leather backing
- Comfortable to hold
- Lightweight, not too bulky
- Good paint, not picking up fingerprints
- Large and clear TFT screen
- Clicky buttons without rattle
- Easy to operate
- Innovative PnP pod tank can be used as a pod and a 510 tank
- Compatible with all PnP coil series
- Comes with a practical bag for easy carrying
- No leaking issues, no condensations
- Fully adjustable airflow
- Great flavor and huge vapor on both coils
- Long coil lifespan
- Type-C charging port with 2A
- Takes 18650 batteries
- The 510 connector is not centered (subjective con)
- No menu system, you have to read the tutorial carefully